Thursday, March 6, 2008

Diaper Bags - Fashionable or Functionable

Or can they be both?

My first post was brought on by my want of a beautiful designer handbag! I'm from small town Maine, the land of entreprenuership and ingeniuty! So what do you do when you can't buy what you want! Well...if you're me, you figure out how to make the damn thing yourself!

As many of you who know me already know, I have a bazillion ideas in my head at any given time about making money doing this, or that, or just creating a fun new hobby to keep my busy for a while (I thank my mother for that trait). So heres my next mission, design and sew my own fashionable AND functional diaper bags! There are lots of beautiful, quality, handmade bags everywhere (if you haven't visited www.etsy.com, you should definitely check it out) but I am of the mindset of, why would I buy it if I could make it. Granted I don't have the ability to make a Coach diaper bag, don't get me wrong. But I bet you I could make something equally as cute, for less money and with more pride! And the bonus, I could get away with changing my diaper bag every month if I wanted to (which is another bad habit of mine)!!

So Moms out there, I'm asking for your help. Please take this survey

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB227JJF5HKTU

and help me come up with a design (or designs) that not only will work for me, but other moms who love to buy handmade quality items!

Thanks for taking the time to fill out the survey and maybe I'll have some pics to share of my first creations in a month or so!

For now I guess I'll be schlepping around my husbands camo diaper dude bag!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are too funny! Looking forward to more of your zany humor on your blog. How long until you get your babe on skis back up at SL?
:o)
Make sure to post pics of your creations!

hrosenberg said...

Ok Missy - you are amazing and I just got so excited when I saw you had posted a new blog!!! There are so many comments I want to post in reply to your blogs, I just haven't been able to sit and write them!!!! Your feelings, thoughts, worries, etc are SOOOOO normal.

Our lives change so drastically once we bring a little one into the world, no matter how much we say it won't. I find that if I can find the time to take a shower - GREAT! But finding the time to blowdry and style my hair and look all "cute" like I used to - ha ha! My boyfriend is always saying - why don't you do your hair all stylish like it used to be, and why don't you get all dolled up... Funny he should say this while he is hanging out watching the Lakers or playing playstation and I am rushing out of the shower with soap still in my hair trying to get to a crying baby :) BUT - it surprisingly is ok with me... I used to live for getting dressed up and going out to the best parties and bars. But now, to be home with my little angels and not miss any of their milestones is priceless. To not be hungover, having to tend to babies is something I wouldn't trade for anything!

I think that it is great that you are making your diaper bag. With my first I went the traditional route and got a standard black diaper bag from babystyle. This time, all I wanted was something that didn't look like a diaper bag! I am excited to see what you come up with - and I am excited to keep reading your blogs and thinking - I felt that same way!!!

Before I had Payson, spending $180 on a pair of jeans was something I did often. Now, I wouldn't even go into the store that sold those jeans! I feel as though my children dress better then I do :) But this is ok with me. I find it so much fun to shop for them b/c if you find the right stuff it can be so inexpensive and you get so much! (and they only wear it for a short amount of time...)

Living in Orange County you definitely feel the pressure of getting the "good stuff". All of a sudden, all i wanted was a Maclaren stroller and a top of the line Britax car seat, and then I was happy! I even got a job at a store that sells all of the "best" baby products. Maybe I am vicariously living through my children since I feel as though I cannot justify buying designer things for myself anymore... who knows... Why do we feel as though the designer things express who we are... I often wonder how I became a "label whore" and came to LOVE designer things... I will admit to both of these things - I like good things...

OK, I am rambling - your blogs stirred up so many thoughts in my brain and I know I only have minutes before one of the munchkins comes a callin. I don't even know if any of this makes sense it is all so random. You keep on writing so I have fun things to read! And know that you are not alone in your thoughts and wonders of this new life you are about to embark on.

Right now it seems as though there is no way you will be able to give up these material things, but just wait - it will all make sense sooner then later... Somehow, you will always find a way to keep your sense of style and sense of being!

Hilary xx0x0x0